Tooth decay is the leading cause of tooth loss in children and adults. While there is no single cure for tooth decay, good oral hygiene habits can help prevent it from happening in the first place. Here are some tips to keep your teeth healthy:
1. Brush and floss regularly. Cavities form when food and bacteria collect below the gum line. Cleaning off these deposits daily with a toothbrush and floss helps prevent them from building up to form problems. You can also contact Elgin Dentist & Orthodontics at Smiles of Elgin Dental Care.
2. Eat a balanced diet. A diet high in sugar and acid can lead to tooth decay. Make sure to include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy products, and whole grains in your diet to help protect your teeth.
3. Avoid sugary drinks and snacks. Sugary drinks contain sugars that can decay teeth over time, and snacks can contain high-fat foods that will smudge your teeth and encourage cavities.
4. Take breaks every hour. If you’re spending more than an hour a day on your teeth, take a break for at least 30 minutes every hour to freshen up your breath and mouthfeel. This will help keep your teeth healthy overall!
5. Brush twice a day. If you’re brushing at home, make sure to brush your teeth after every meal and use fluoride toothpaste that is safe for kids.
6. Floss once a day. It’s important to floss daily to remove plaque and promote good oral hygiene.
7. See the dentist often. To keep your teeth healthy, see your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and exams to make sure you’re doing everything you can to keep your smile healthy!